HIS Churches is the Church Planting program of the Northwest Baptist Home Mission, carrying out the Great Commission within Hispanic communities throughout the great Northwest.
HIS Churches E.W. is a coalition of pastors and churches in Eastern Washington, in partnership with NBHM, dedicated to promoting the establishment of gospel preaching Baptist Churches in Hispanic population areas.
Opportunity Around Us
- According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Hispanics are rapidly becoming the largest minority residing in the U.S. and accounted for more of the country’s overall growth in the 1990’s than did non-Hispanic whites.
- The Hispanic community grew by more than 13 million people or by 58%. The number of non-Hispanic whites increased by 6.4 million. This from the 2000 census.
- Even more surprising than the size of the Hispanic gains was the location. Historically the Hispanic population has been concentrated largely in the Southwest. That is no longer the case.
- During the 1990’s the Spanish speaking population in Washington State grew by an astounding 387.5% and is now approximately 1 million.
- The median age is 25.9 years, almost 10 years younger than the nation as a whole.
When opportunity knocks, the wise person opens the door!
People Among Us
- “…. with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.” (Rev. 5:9)
- “The Hispanic community is not one single unit but a mixture of a variety of peoples and customs. We need to understand their origins if we are to learn how to reach these masses with the gospel. They may seem to be all the same to the untrained eye, but in reality they are as diverse a mixture as the early European immigrants to America.”
- “Anglo-American Christianity’s inability to speak the language of its southern neighbors has been a barrier to reaching Hispanics with the gospel.” (Alex Montoya, author “Hispanic Ministry in North America”, is a Hispanic pastor & Founder of the Southern California School of Ministry, which prepares Spanish-speaking men for the gospel ministry.)
The Lord is bringing to our door-step these souls in need of the Christ, the Savior. Dare we say that we are too busy with caring for the sheep already in the fold to spend and be spent to reach this growing ethnic group among us? The mañana mentality will not do! We must act pronto!
Challenges Before Us
“Do you not say, ‘Four months more and then the harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” (John 4:35)
There is no harvest without reproduction. We sow the gospel seed among Hispanics, it yields fruit, we conserve the fruit by gathering it into churches. Reproduction! We will ask the Lord of the harvest to bless the Sowers and the Seed!
The Challenge of Resources
In Church Planting as in wheat planting, finances are necessary. We will look to the Lord of the harvest to supply the finances through His established, obedient churches!
The Challenge to Recruit
We must recruit Hispanic speaking Church Planters who not only speak English and Spanish but who understand the Hispanic culture. We will pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers!
Will you be a partner in HIS church planting?
HIS Churches Team Members
Juan Carlos and Angelica Magallanes
Heritage Multicultural Baptist Church
Antonio and Grace Sanchez
Iglesia Del Pueblo
Phone: (509) 778-2607